Thursday, September 24, 2015

How do YOU do it?




Who would think that striking balance in your life could be such an elusive goal?  I was speaking with a friend a few weeks ago, about the “used-to’s”.  You know, the conversations we have as Stay-At-Home-Moms about the things we “used to” do.  Juggling a job along with a husband, and children. Writing reports while making dinner.  Managing other adults instead of teams of toddlers. But it’s not reminiscing in that “God, I wish I were doing that instead of this” way, but more of a “What the hell happened---where did those skills go?” kind of way.  
I am always striving to be present, but have so many places to be present in.  My life as a mother.  My life as a wife.  My place as a writer and creative being.  Sometimes I get so depressed, looking at my dog-eared notebook of ideas and story-starters (the dog ears are for the “really good” ideas that I’m really going to do...someday).  Most days I’m so utterly exhausted, I don’t think I can read another story, build another train track, wipe another tear away.  
I guess, what I’m saying is: How do YOU all do it?  You Mama-bloggers and musicians and artists?  I feel like it’s something I want to recapture, that part of myself, but I’m at a loss as to how.  I thought starting this blog would motivate me (it hasn’t).   Every time I sit down to write or paint or play music, I feel this instant guilt.  Almost as if my body is crying out for an interruption, my hearing becomes canine-esque in it’s ability to zone in on the slightest unhappiness beckoning for my attention.  Is it really as simple as setting aside five minutes a day?  Do you hire sitters?  Do you involve your children? What do you do when your family constantly interrupts you?  Will I ever really find the time to finish all of those half-finished projects in my desk and scattered about my garage?  

I’m blessed to have so many inspirational women in my life...so I’m asking you all, how do you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment